Home  Resources  References  Tubes  Forums  Links  Support  Sale  Search 

< Previous Message Index Next Message >   

Antique Radio Technical Forum
Hickok 6000A Tube Tester

Posted by Sam Martin on 04/26/2009 15:53

::::Okay you are new at this .. I don't know about your model tester, but some have a light bulb as a fuse right on top of the panel .. If you do need to take out all 20 of the screws, go ahead and do that .. If you have any kind of ohm meter ( or get one ) just check the line cord, the on off switch, and the primary & secondary of the transformer .. It does have a rectifier tube, if you have AC from the transformer, you can check for open filament on that tube too .. Maybe just something simple .. If not, post again .. Someone can talk you through more ..
::
::I am a novice, but I can read schematics. My tester has two (2) rectifiers and two fuse lights ( both are good). I said I had a manual.
::I have a VOM and I know how to use it.
::I am, however, pissed. I just bought this tester under the guise that it was in good shape electronically. I bought it at a "swap" meet in Nashville. I also collect coins, a hobby rampant with liars an thieves.
::I thought, erroneously, that the radio hobby would be less corrupt. It isn't. Nearly everyone i've talked to about radios is a condescending bastard--which is not necessary and very infuriating. I know more about these radios than nearly everyone I meet--I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, but I haven't worked in the field in a long, long time. Most EE's I knew then were also condescending bastards. I'm going to fix this tester on my own and then I'm never returning to the hobby.
::Thanks for your help--I just needed to vent.
:;
:;
::One thing you have to learn about this or any hobby and that is, if you are buying from, inexperienced and unknowledgeable, people it is buyer beware. Any tube tester that has needle movement seems to be sold as (in working order). Any radio that can pick up a station (no matter how much static) and has all the parts is sold as (in working order) (perfect condition). If you post an add that you are looking for tube type radios, any $30 radio in that city is now $300.I'm glad to see you are going to repair your own tube tester.Once you get past that you will have confidence to carry on.Remember it is mostly about resistors and capacitors. If you have a schematic, it is all about returning the tester to original specifications. I recommend using a digital multimeter to test the resistors. You may have to take some out of circuit to test them correctly, especially if they read low.Use the resistor color code to identify every resistor and record this on paper.The schematic may call for something different then what is in the tester and you will have to decide what to put in there.If it doesn't work right ,you will have a record of what was in there.An analog ohm meter is great for testing pots to see if they are skipping.You will have to take them out of circuit for this ,so tag all the wires.They will probably need to be cleaned with contact cleaner to freshen them up.They is some interesting info on Hickok pots at (www.jacmusic.com). As far as capacitors, most people just replace them but if you have bridge you can test them. The tubes should either be tested or replaced, whatever is more cost effecient for you.I didn't have a way to test mine at the time so I put new ones in. You will need a calibration procedure.If it is not in your manual,try to google one.Give yourself plenty of time to do the calibration , as it is very confusing the first time.Remember, making everything work like when the tester was new, is the key to sucess.Once you have it working right, you will see it is not a luxury but another stepping stone to the hobby of old radio repair.And a properly working Hickok is worth $$$$$$$. Bob Masse

Thanks, Bob. You and Warren are fine people. I went to the web site you recommended last night--it is good one. I read several technical
articles--tube testers are an interesting subject. It looks like I picked a good tester, for my needs.

You are right about the people involved in the radio "business." Some are down-right crooked, most are very poorly informed. On E-Bay, I see a LOT of crap going on. For example, a guy in New York, who can barely communicate in a coherent manner, came across a beautiful RCA catalin radio. He is selling it on E-Bay and several weasels have tried to get him to sell it to them off-line, for a "song and dance." I sent him an e-mail telling him that he is being ripped off and to not sell it if he doesn't get a decent bid--re-listing, if necessary.

Thanks--I'll keep you posted.

Hickok 6000A Tube Tester 
Sam Martin 04/25/2009 14:17 
Warren 04/25/2009 15:16 
Sam Martin 04/25/2009 22:39 
Sam Martin 04/25/2009 23:01 
Warren 04/25/2009 23:50 
Sam Martin 04/26/2009 02:42 
Warren 04/26/2009 10:30 
Bob Masse 04/26/2009 12:39