Home  Resources  References  Tubes  Forums  Links  Support  Sale  Search 

< Previous Message Index    

Antique Radio Technical Forum
Warped plastic parts

Posted by George T on 04/21/2009 22:15

:::Earl,
:::If you're sure it's plastic, be careful with the heat. Depending on the age, may be celluloid, which I believe is a product made from plant matter. Might try Googling an appropriate subject matter. Some on this forum have had success bleaching what seems to be celluloid, but flattenning, I don't recall. I would think a very hot water bath, and then clamping between 2 pieces of glass surfaces might help. Even low temp in an oven would heat the whole piece, and avoid warping from the application of uneven heat from a heat gun or similar device. Might even apply the clamping with glass before heating in an oven.
:::
:::marv
:::
::::I have a nice old Cromwell radio that has a wood case and a plastic front. The plastic is not broken, but it is pretty warped. Is there any way to straighten it out? I thought of heating it VERY gently and clamping it, but I'm not sure.
::::Thanks.
:
:Try this again. with feeling.
:The radio appears to be from the 50's so I don't think it is celluloid. It is most likely styrene. The real problem is it is louvered in the front so there is no real flat spot to clamp it. I'll see if I can come up with a jig of some sort. I may warm it in an oven, or I could rig up a sand bath. I have tried water on some other plastics and had back luck because the water softened the plastic too much.
:Thanks.

:The bad thing about plastic is it always does what you don't want it to do. Put a lot of thought into it and if you are successful let us in on you procedure. Good Luck

Warped plastic parts 
earl 04/19/2009 21:35 
Warren 04/19/2009 23:07 
Marv Nuce 04/20/2009 00:00 
Earl 04/21/2009 18:13 
earl 04/21/2009 18:17 
Marv Nuce 04/21/2009 22:14 
George T 04/21/2009 22:15 

< Previous Message Index    

© 1996-2004 Nostalgia Air