Home  Resources  References  Tubes  Forums  Links  Support  Sale  Search 

< Previous Message Index    

Antique Radio Technical Forum
41-285 Ready For More Testing

Posted by Doug H on 04/21/2009 08:56

Good deal Johnny, I knew by all the results of the the previous postings you anI did that the problem rested in that first IF 7B7 tube circuit. I never would have guessed that the ground would have been cut, just look at it as a great learning experience.

Anyway, glad you are going to hang around this fourm, I AGREE THERE ARE SOME NUTS OUT THERE, but I do not respond to any of there crazy postings.

Enjoy your radio, and have a great day!

Doug

::Well Edd I feel like a big dummy. This is my nephews first vintage radio overhaul. He's 30 and one step away from chief in the USN. He's an electrician. So I kinda let him run with it. I remember when we were taking it apart he was clipping off the grounds that go from individual pins on each tube to ground. I told him that wasn't really necessary. If he wanted he could reflow the solder to eliminate any cold joints.
:
:So today I'm going through the whole thing again and I notice pin 7 of the 1st IF 7B7 has nothing on it. It's the cathode of that tube. Schematic says it should be grounded. So you can imagine how well the radio worked after I grounded that pin. Sings like a bird. A little tweaking here and there and every aspect of it is working fine.
:
:I can only say thank you very much for all the time you devoted to helping me with this thing. I believe I've told you before that I print out most of your stuff for future reference. Something I have learned from all this is how to properly induce the signals into a radio to troubleshoot the various stages and even align when necessary. Audio circuits also. I've successfully rebuilt about ten radios in the past year and a half that I've been doing this and I've just never had the problems before.
:
:I probably will keep coming to NA now that the administrator has hopefully put another end to the bickering that seems to be going on between whom ever.
:
:So thanks again for all the help,
:
:Johnny P.S. I have a couple nice 1N34 diodes if anyone needs them. lol
::

::I do be standing by. . . . waiting to see how that RF signal generators 400~ modulated 455kc RF
::injection, ( working from the rear of the set forward thru the IF stages and finally into the mixer grid) testing resulted.
::With it, hopefully, resulting in an audio tone bursting forth from the sets speaker.
::If not, we will then have to be VEWY sneaky !
::73's de Edd