Home  Resources  References  Tubes  Forums  Links  Support  Sale  Search 

< Previous Message Index Next Message >   

Antique Radio Technical Forum
41-285 Ready For More Testing

Posted by Johnny on 04/20/2009 21:39

:Well Edd I feel like a big dummy. This is my nephews first vintage radio overhaul. He's 30 and one step away from chief in the USN. He's an electrician. So I kinda let him run with it. I remember when we were taking it apart he was clipping off the grounds that go from individual pins on each tube to ground. I told him that wasn't really necessary. If he wanted he could reflow the solder to eliminate any cold joints.

So today I'm going through the whole thing again and I notice pin 7 of the 1st IF 7B7 has nothing on it. It's the cathode of that tube. Schematic says it should be grounded. So you can imagine how well the radio worked after I grounded that pin. Sings like a bird. A little tweaking here and there and every aspect of it is working fine.

I can only say thank you very much for all the time you devoted to helping me with this thing. I believe I've told you before that I print out most of your stuff for future reference. Something I have learned from all this is how to properly induce the signals into a radio to troubleshoot the various stages and even align when necessary. Audio circuits also. I've successfully rebuilt about ten radios in the past year and a half that I've been doing this and I've just never had the problems before.

I probably will keep coming to NA now that the administrator has hopefully put another end to the bickering that seems to be going on between whom ever.

So thanks again for all the help,

Johnny P.S. I have a couple nice 1N34 diodes if anyone needs them. lol
:
:
:

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:I do be standing by. . . . waiting to see how that RF signal generators 400~ modulated 455kc RF
:injection, ( working from the rear of the set forward thru the IF stages and finally into the mixer grid) testing resulted.
:
:With it, hopefully, resulting in an audio tone bursting forth from the sets speaker.
:
:
:If not, we will then have to be VEWY sneaky !
:
:
:
:
:
:
:73's de Edd

:
:

:
:
: